MEDFORD, Ore. -- A 15-year-old high school student is behind bars. The student is suspected of writing threatening messages about a shooting that would happen at several schools Thursday.
Lt. Kerry Curtis said the suspect is charged with disorderly conduct in the 1st degree.
"I understand that some people believe that we should have greater charges for what he's done," Curtis said.
Curtis said those are the charges for someone who creates a public alarm at a place place, like a school.
Medford police received reports about threatening messages Wednesday around 6 p.m. that said there would be a shooting Thursday. Police increased their presence at all three high schools.
South Medford High School student Anna Marie Lynn Rabe-Hemming said she was slightly worried going to school Thursday, but was glad officers were there.
"I knew the cops had it controlled so I was felt safe," Rabe-Hemming said.
She said there were many students who did not show up.
"I don't even know if I'm going to take my test in my social studies class because there are so many people missing," Rabe-Hemming said.
Bailey Mccasland, North Medford High School student, said he noticed many missing students too.
"Usually there's like 30 kids in a class I only saw like 20, probably a third were missing," Mccasland said.
Natalie Hurd, Medford School District Spokesperson, said 81 percent of students showed up to North Medford High and 84 percent showed up to South Medford High. Hurd said 92 percent of students came to school on the same date last year.
Lt. Curtis said it was important for police to have more presence on the campuses even though a suspect was taken into custody.
"With all of these cases we have increased patrols, we've communicated with the school district and we really try to leave no stone unturned when it comes to these," Curtis said.