KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — Officers with the Klamath Falls Police Department (KFPD) seized 27 pounds of methamphetamine during a traffic stop last week, according to a statement from the agency released on Monday.
The officers pulled over an SUV with California plates on Highway 97 just south of Dan Obrien Way on Thursday of last week, according to KFPD.
"During the Stop, officers developed a concern that the occupants were transporting methamphetamine inside the vehicle," the agency said. "Officers later gained consent to search the car for illegal drugs."
In searching the SUV, the officers discovered a hidden compartment containing "several large, individually wrapped bundles of suspected methamphetamine." KFPD later estimate the seizure at about 27 pounds of the narcotic — equating to a street value of "close to a half million dollars."
Though driving a vehicle with California plates, both of the occupants — Roger Gutierrez Ayala and Fernanda Tores Sanchez — reportedly live in Yakima, Washington. Both were arrested and lodged in the Klamath County Jail, charged with Unlawful Possession and Delivery of Methamphetamine. Their bail was set at $500,000 each.
"We wish to thank the Oregon State Police with assistance in this investigation, as well as the citizens of Klamath Falls for adhering to traffic and roadside safety while officers and troopers conducted this investigation," KFPD said.
- Police: 27 Pounds of Meth Seized During Klamath Falls Traffic Stop
- Police seize 50 pounds of meth during traffic stop in Jackson County
- Klamath Falls Drug Busts Claim 17 Pounds of Meth
- Police find three pounds of meth and two loaded handguns inside car in Klamath County
- Police Seize Half-Pound of Meth in Grants Pass, Make Two Arrests
- Nebraska Troopers Seize 300lbs of Marijuana in Traffic Stop
- More than 60,000 fentanyl pills seized from I-5 traffic stop
- Deputy finds 24 pounds of marijuana during traffic stop
- Five face federal charges for smuggling meth, heroin into Klamath Falls area
- Detectives Seize 'Several Hundred Pounds' of Marijuana in Grants Pass