MEDFORD, Ore. -- The Phoenix Police Department is searching for the person suspected of stealing a car from South Pacific Highway and crashing it off Griffin Creek Road just after midnight. The driver of the car took off after the car rolled into an embankment.
Nearby neighbor Lief Barge said he was not surprised to see the car off the road this morning.
"This is the first accident of this year so far, we usually get anywhere between five and six accidents up here a year," Barge said.
He said he does not think the driver of the car realized how icy the roads were last night.
"We're about five degrees colder than Medford so this road gets very icy very fast," Barge said.
Oregon State Police responded to several accidents on Interstate 5 Wednesday morning. Sgt. Jeff Proulx, Public Information Officer, said one of them was due to slick roads.
Medford Police Public Information Officer Lt. Justin Ivens said drivers need to be vigilant while driving, and not only at night.
"A lot of people think oh it's a crystal clear, blue-sky day and there's not going to be any ice, but that's not the case, those are actually the days that you need to be careful of," Ivens said.
He said just making sure your windshield is clear before heading out isn't good enough.
"Make sure your vehicle is completely thawed out and you've got all your windows clear so you can see what's going on around you. Give yourself a little bit more time, slow down, that's the big thing that causes accidents when it's icy is the speed," Ivens said.
Anyone with information about the stolen car should contact Phoenix Police.
- Phoenix Police Search For Car Theft Suspect
- Phoenix police searching for theft suspect
- Medford Police Seek Car Theft Suspect
- Police searching for suspect in Medford bike shop theft
- Police arrest suspect in recent Phoenix tire slashing spree
- Police: Car Thefts Increase As Temperatures Drop
- Medford Police Sees Spike in Car Thefts
- Suspect in Car Theft and Cow Collision Identified
- Pedestrian struck by car on highway 99 in Phoenix
- Police Search for Officer Shooting Suspect