MEDFORD, Ore. -- The Medford School District (MSD) held a bullying forum Tuesday night to address bullying concerns. They went over mental health and suicide prevention, explained to parents state bullying laws and the MSD policy, school safety, and the bullying prevention curriculum.
A panel of experts who specialize those various topics sat at the front of the multi-purpose room at Hedrick Middle School. While the rest of the room was full of frustrated parents and students demanding answers.
“There needs to be a change right now,” One mom said.
“Why is nothing being done?” Another added.
Many parents were asking what the schools and the district was doing to protect the students and stop bullying.
“It’s more heartbreaking because we feel like we don’t have control over the situation,” said parent of a bullied student Jack Skinner. “We don’t want out family to be involved in any sort of danger.”
Many of the parents and students that spoke to NewsWatch 12 said they tried going to administrators with complaints and examples of how their child was bullied but it didn’t work.
“I’ve seen kids being pushed into lockers, being made fun of and called names,” said eighth grader Jolynnza Skinner. “Students will go in front of other people in line and [teachers] just don’t care or they’re not able to address it at the right time and it gets brown over and never addressed.”
For some of the parents, the only solution that has worked so far has been to put their children in a different school.
“What is that teaching anybody? That is reinforcing the bully's behavior that she gets whatever she wants,” said the parent of a bulled student Trina Helfrich. She moved her daughter from the school she said her daughter was being bullied.
The parents said they hope this conversation doesn’t end here. The Medford School District said this discussion was only the beginning.
- Parents demand answers and solutions at bullying forum
- Egg Solutions
- Airplane seat cameras: US senators demand answers
- Oregon State Attorney General Demands Answers from Facebook
- Protectors University: Bullying Defined
- Combating Food Allergy Bullying
- Blue Shirt Day Promotes Bullying Prevention to Stomp Out Bullying
- American couple demand answers after they say Kenyan authorities took 3-year-old in their custody
- Families of Kirkland nursing home residents in quarantine after coronavirus outbreak demand more answers
- Three Words to Stop Bullying