RICHMOND, Va. — A number of Oregon-based creameries bleu the competition away at a national cheese competition this year, according to the Oregon Cheese Guild — among them local Southern Oregon contenders Rogue Creamery and By George Farm.
Winners of the cheese competition were announced at the American Cheese Society's 36th Annual Conference in Richmond, Virginia on August 2. There were more than 1,700 entries from 257 creameries in North and South America, which the Cheese Guild calls the nation's largest such competition.
Rogue Creamery took second place in no less than three different cheese categories, while By George Farm took home a second place spot and came in third place twice.
"The Oregon Cheese Guild is thrilled to announce that the annual ACS competition, conference, and public-facing Festival of Cheese, will be coming to Portland in July 2020!" the Guild said in a statement. "This represents an enormous opportunity for Oregon producers to showcase their wares to specialty food industry buyers from around the world, and for local cheese lovers to taste an unequaled array of styles and flavors."
You'll also have a chance to taste this year's winners at Portland's cheese festival "The Wedge" on October 5, or when the Oregon Cheese Festival returns to Central Point on March 14 & 15 — or you can check out the Oregon Cheese & Food Trail.
Look below for a full list of this year's winners from Oregon:
2019 American Cheese Competition Awards Oregon Winners by Category & Subcategory
Cheddars – aged through 12 months
- 2nd - Face Rock Creamery, Aged Cheddar
Cheddars – aged 24-47 months
- 2nd - Rogue Creamery, Mount Mazama Cheese
- 3rd - Tillamook County Creamery Association, Extra Sharp Cheddar
Soft Ripened Cheeses – Camembert, cow’s milk
- 3rd - By George Farm, Buncom in Bloom
Hispanic & Portuguese Style Cheeses – melting cheeses
- 3rd - Ochoa’s Queseria (Don Froylan), Queso Oaxaca
Italian Type Cheeses – Fresh Mozzarella - 8 oz. or More (Balls or Shapes)
- 1st - Ochoa’s Queseria (Don Froylan), Liliana’s Cheese Ball
American Originals – Monterey Jack, cow’s milk
- 1st - Tillamook County Creamery Association, Monterey Jack
Flavored – fresh unripened
- 2nd - By George Farm, Honey & Sea Salt Fromage Blanc
Flavored – Cheddar
- 1st - Face Rock Creamery, Peppercorn Harvest Clothbound
- 2nd - Rogue Creamery, Organic Rogue’s Mary
- 3rd - Face Rock Creamery, In Your Face Spicy 3 Pepper
Smoked Cheeses – cheddars
- 3rd - Tillamook County Creamery Association, Smoked Medium Cheddar
Smoked Cheeses – open category, cow’s milk
- 2nd - Rogue Creamery, Organic Smokey Blue Cheese
Farmstead Cheeses – aged 60 days or more, 39% or higher moisture
- 3rd - By George Farm, Dutchman’s Peak
- Oregon cheeses make the cut in national competition
- Rogue Creamery wins 'World Champion Cheese' at international competition
- Thousands come to 15th annual Oregon Cheese Festival
- Special Olympics Oregon Cancels State Games Competition
- In the Kitchen: Grilled Cheese
- In the Kitchen: Cheese Wheel
- Josephine County Food Bank Says "Cheese"
- At The Market: Pasta,Cheese, and Microgreens
- Local Deaf Students Raising Money to go to National Competition
- Proposed budget will cut Oregon education funds