PORTLAND, Ore. — A Portland woman says that she became 'violently ill' after eating soup which she later found to contain a 'mouse intestine-like foreign object.' Those statements came from a lawsuit that the woman has filed against Tualatin-based company Pacific Foods, who produced the soup in question.
The suit alleges that 72-year-old Maesel Dorn was enjoying a carton of Pacific Foods Organic Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup on January 19 of 2018. That night, Dorn was awakened by 'acute physical symptoms' and 'severe ongoing sickness.' Dorn was weak and immobilized, and suffered 'mild hallucinations' as well as diarrhea, the suit reports.
Two days later, having recovered from her symptoms, the lawsuit claims that Dorn again sat down to enjoy more of the Pacific Foods soup. When she attempted to pour it into a cup, "something black fell from the carton, followed by [a] mouse intestine-like foreign object."
After this, the lawsuit claims, Dorn was misled by Pacific Foods into misplacing the specimen. Dorn claimed that she contacted someone with Pacific Foods, who told her to place the object into a plastic bag and drop it off at the Fred Meyer store where she purchased the soup.
The lawsuit says that Pacific Foods promised to go and pick the bag up from Fred Meyer—however, they later emailed Dorn and indicated that they never had. Presumably, the specimen also went missing from the Fred Meyer location.
Pacific Foods has not yet made any direct public comment revealing their perspective on the suit.
Maki KJ, We take all consumer complaints seriously and have stringent protocols for investigating concerns. While we can’t comment on ongoing legal matters, we can say that our utmost priority is ensuring the safety and integrity of our products. https://t.co/Vx9DRXFMcJ
— Pacific Foods (@pacificfoods) April 4, 2018
Dorn is suing Pacific Foods for $400,000 'plus interest.' She has also requested a jury trial.
"By manufacturing adulterated soup that contained a nonnutritive foreign object injurious to health, Pacific Foods violated Oregon law," the lawsuit claims.
Pacific Foods was bought out by Campbell's Soup Co. for $700 million in July of 2017.
- Oregon Woman Files Lawsuit Claiming She Found Mouse Parts in Her Soup
- Patrol Sergeant Files Lawsuit Against Oregon Sheriff
- Oregon Judge Throws Out Lawsuit Filed by Horse
- Former Oregon Pot Lab Owner Files Defamation Lawsuit
- Missing Disney film which predates Mickey Mouse resurfaces in Japan
- In the Kitchen: Chicken Tortilla Soup
- A Guest from an Oregon Hotel is Filing a Lawsuit for Racial Discrimination
- Attorneys Filing Las Vegas Shooting Lawsuits have 450 Plantiffs
- Parents of victim file wrongful death lawsuit against Greyhound
- Nick Sandmann files lawsuit against the Washington Post