SALEM, Ore. (AP) — A student has been found dead by gunshot in the baseball fields of high school in a small town in Oregon, and the sheriff's office says it is investigating the death as a suicide.
The Marion County Sheriff's Office says that when deputies arrived at Jefferson High School, in the town of Jefferson, mid-morning Monday, they found the body of the 17-year-old male.
The school was placed on lockdown until students were released from school at 1:00 p.m. The sheriff's office said law enforcement is working with the school district to address any needs of the students and the community.
Lt. Chris Baldridge of the sheriff's office said no further details will be released.
Jefferson, a town of 3,000, is located 8 miles (13 kilometers) south of Salem, the state capital.
- Authorities Suspect Suicide in Student's Death Outside Oregon High School
- Southern Oregon high school students face off in mock trial
- Authorities Arrest Student with Loaded Handgun at North Valley High
- New Report on Oregon's Suicide Rate
- Two Students Injured at Mazama High School
- University of Oregon Apologizes for Statement on Student Death
- Authorities: Man Attacks Sikh at Oregon Store
- Lane County Authorities Investigating Inmate's Death
- High School Student Interns at Firearms School for Senior Project
- Authorities Search for Fugitive Rape Suspect