CAVE JUNCTION, Ore. -- The Oregon State Police Criminal Investigation Division is investigating a stabbing that happened around 2 p.m. Tuesday outside of the Sportsman Tavern.
OSP said 50-year-old Cave Junction resident William Riviea was taken to Three Rivers Medical Center with life-threatening stab wounds. The second person involved in the incident is cooperating with the investigation. OSP said that person's name will not be released at this time.
Lori Smith, Murphy resident, said she works in Cave Junction and is always more aware of her surroundings when she is in town because of the common crime.
"I'm more nervous and more cautious every time I'm out here, more protective," Smith said.
She said it is unsettling to know that the stabbing happened in broad daylight.
"I think it's pretty scary because most people come out here for travelling and going back and forth to the coast, so it's pretty scary that something like this happened especially in the daytime, that makes it even worse," Smith said.
The owner of the Sportsman Tavern said over the phone that she has worked for many years to make sure her business is a family-friendly place.
Sgt. Jeff Proulx, Oregon State Police Public Information Officer, said investigators have only been called to the bar for some type of assault investigation one other time this year.
Investigators are still trying to learn more about what happened during the incident. Anyone who witnessed it or was not interviewed at the scene is asked to call Detective Ray Stallsworth at 541-618-7974.
- Oregon State Police Investigate Life-Threatening Stabbing Outside Bar
- Medford Police Investigating Stabbing
- Oregon State Police Investigate Naked Beach Attacker
- UPDATE: Oregon State Police Investigating Shooting Near Merlin
- Lemon Bars
- Man Accused of Threatening Oregon Lottery Headquarters
- DeFazio Investigates Chetco Bar Fire Management
- Oregon State Police Announce Interactive Map
- Oregon School Shooter Loses Life-Sentence Appeal
- Oregon Wildfire Nearly Triples in Size; Threatens Structures