PORTLAND, Ore. — Ten disaster responders from the local American Red Cross in Oregon and Southwest Washington (Cascades Region) are on the ground helping communities affected by evacuations from the Kilauea Volcano eruption, according to a statement from the American Red Cross.
Responders from Bend, Burns, Eugene, Klamath Falls, Longview, Monmouth, Portland, Salem, Summerville and Wood Village are in Hawaii working in disaster relief shelters, providing food and water to evacuees, and delivering health or mental health services to those displaced.
In addition to ongoing volcanic eruptions, residents are dealing with devastating lava flows, toxic gases, and laze—which is made of clouds of toxic gas and steam containing tiny glass particles.
The volcano has destroyed more than 40 structures—including more than 24 homes—and has caused power outages, road closures and brush fires. As many as 2,000 people remain under mandatory evacuation orders and officials say others should be ready to evacuate at a moment’s notice, according to the Red Cross.
People are urged to evacuate if told to do so by officials.
The Red Cross says that they have five shelters open where more than 130 people spent the night on Monday night. Since the volcanic activity began, trained Red Cross workers have provided more than 3,400 overnight stays in shelters and served nearly 14,000 snacks.
Health and mental health volunteers from the Red Cross are in the shelters and have already provided more than 2,700 services. In addition, the Red Cross is working with the Salvation Army to provide meals.
- Oregon Disaster Responders Ship Out to Hawaii Volcano
- Lava Bubbling From 2 Vents At Hawaii Volcano
- Hawaii Volcano Lava Destroys Hundreds of Homes Overnight
- First Responders Train for Disaster Evacuations
- Indonesian Volcano Roars To Life
- 2017 Holiday Shipping Deadlines
- Special Saturday Shipping Hours
- 2018 Holiday Shipping Deadlines
- Local Red Cross Volunteer Helps Volcano Victims
- Allstate handing out 2,000 disaster preparedness kits in Oregon