Photo Gallery 40 Images
HORNBROOK, Calif. — At the intersection of Main Street and Oregon Road in the little community of Hornbrook, nothing but charred wreckage remains of former homes. At least one person is dead, according to fire officials
Early Thursday afternoon, July 5, the Klamathon Fire spread from areas near the south bank of the Klamath River and raged northward, pushed by stiff winds.
The speed of those wind-driven flames caused the hurried evacuation of Hornbrook, with people, pets and livestock rushing away from town. Previously, only homes south of the Klamath River and the little community of Ager were told to evacuate.
From the river, flames raced north and west, surrounding the Chevron station just south of town and leaping over Copco Road—sending fire into the south end of Hornbrook itself.
CAL FIRE says that they have not yet been able to assess the full extent of the damage wrought by the Klamathon Fire in Hornbrook. However, at least the southwest area of the community was leveled by flames.
Authorities have yet to release the identity of the person found dead in the aftermath of the fire, and have said that they still need to notify next of kin first. Deputies did confirm that the body was found when fire crews began picking through the wreckage of a home in Hornbrook, however.
Hornbrook is a community of about 250 people, based on past census data. It lies roughly halfway between Ashland, Ore. and Yreka, Calif. along the I-5 corridor.
- Fire Devastation Visits the Town of Hornbrook (Photo Gallery)
- Hornbrook Water Still Not Drinkable
- Sheriff Identifies Hornbrook Man Killed in Klamathon Fire
- Sheriff: Hornbrook Man's Injuries Point Toward Fire-Related Death
- Hornbrook, Copco Residents Allowed to Return to Their Homes
- Hornbrook Students Go Back To School Without Drinkable Water
- Ashland Woman Organizes 'Hay Drive' for Hornbrook Residents
- Water Authorities Issue All Clear in Error; Hornbrook Water Still Undrinkable
- Senator Merkley Visits Fire Crews, County Leaders
- NASA Visits Medford