EAGLE POINT, Ore. —
UPDATE: The man killed in an officer-involved shooting in Eagle Point Wednesday night was 33-year-old Matthew Thayer Graves, according to a statement from the Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO).
JCSO says that an Eagle Point Police Officer first "contacted" Graves on Wednesday night 8:42 p.m. near the Carl’s Jr. Restaurant in Eagle Point. That contact continued into the restroom of the restaurant where a struggle ensued.
A second officer arrived to assist with taking Graves into custody, JCSO says. The officers continued to struggle with Graves and shots were fired. Graves was pronounced dead at the scene. One of the officers involved sustained minor injuries.
Detectives with the Major Assault and Death Investigative Unit — comprised of JCSO, Oregon State Police, the Medford Police Department, the Ashland Police Department, and the Jackson County District Attorney’s Office — responded to the scene and assumed the investigation.
Graves' autopsy is scheduled for Friday, September 21.
The officers involved have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the completion of the investigation and a review by the Grand Jury, said JCSO. The names of the officers will not be released until that time.
NewsWatch 12 will be at a press conference held on Thursday at 2:45 p.m. at the Jackson County Sheriff's Office, and will post updates from the scene.
Anyone with information about the case can call Detective David Seese at (541) 774-8304 and refer to JCSO Case 18-19902 or EPPD Case 18-6861.
(Updated 9/20/18 at 2:20 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: One person is dead after an officer-involved shooting at the Carl's Jr. restaurant in Eagle Point.
Investigators have been on the scene for at least an hour and a half.
Eagle Point police made contact with a man, but they have not said why.
After a struggle, police used a taser, then shot the man.
The victim has not been identified.
One officer had minor injuries but did not go to the hospital.
The Jackson County Sheriff is not saying whether the victim was armed.
This is a developing story, check back for more details as we learn more.
- UPDATE: Authorities Identify Man Killed in Eagle Point Officer-Involved Shooting
- UPDATE: Authorities Identify 11 People Killed in Synagogue Shooting
- UPDATE: Police Identify Driver of Vehicle in Crash that Killed Eagle Point Girls
- UPDATE: Deputies Identify Central Point Man Killed in Rollover Crash
- Eagle Point Shooting Victim's Mother Speaks Out
- UPDATE: Man Killed During Penninger Fire Identified by Authorities
- UPDATE: Crash Cleared on Highway 62 Near Eagle Point
- UPDATE: Negotiations Ongoing at SWAT Situation in Eagle Point
- Graves Family Sues Eagle Point for Wrongful Death in Shooting
- Grand Jury Clears Officers in Shooting at Eagle Point Carl's Jr.