JOSEPHINE COUNTY, Ore. —
UPDATE: Oregon State Police (OSP) have released the name of a man found dead last week on Riverbanks Road.
Investigators have identified the deceased as 70-year-old Jon Batters of Grants Pass.
A statement from OSP did not provide any more details on the investigation, but said that it remains "ongoing."
(Updated 9/4/18 at 3:40 p.m.)
UPDATE: In a statement released Thursday afternoon, OSP provided little in the way of additional details regarding the possible homicide on Riverbanks Road.
Deputies from the Josephine County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) responded to reports of a deceased male at the residence on Riverbanks just before 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday evening.
OSP says that deputies did find a dead man when they arrived, and requested that a Major Crimes Team from OSP come in to lead the investigation.
The OSP statement does not reveal any more information about who the man was or how he may have died, although they continue to refer to it as a "homicide investigation" that is ongoing. They say that no further information will be released at this time.
NewsWatch 12 reached out to OSP and JCSO earlier today and both agencies said that they could not comment any further on the investigation.
(Updated 8/30/18 at 5:24 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: Oregon State Police (OSP) are investigating a homicide on the 5100 block of Riverbanks Road.
OSP and the Josephine County Sheriff's Office confirm one man is dead.
The crime scene remains active at the moment. People are asked to avoid the area due to the heavy police presence.
This is a developing story. We will update this article as we learn more.
- UPDATE: Victim in Grants Pass Homicide Identified, Investigation 'Ongoing'
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in Fatal Grants Pass Crash
- Grants Pass Chaplain Helping Camp Fire Victims
- OSP Investigating Fatal Crash in Grants Pass
- Police Investigating Driver Shot in Grants Pass
- Authorities Identify Body Pulled from Water in Grants Pass
- Police Identify Man Killed in Grants Pass Explosion, Seeking Associate
- UPDATE: Woman Identified After She and Child Die of Gunshot Wounds in Grants Pass
- Caveman Repairs in Grants Pass
- Sheriff & School District Investigate Grants Pass School Bus 'Incident'