ASHLAND, Ore. -- Outdoor shows are cancelled when it is too smoky outside but they must go on in the heat.
The Oregon Shakespeare Festival has safe guards in place to keep actors cool while performing on exceptionally hot days.
"The designers have actually made it possible to remove portions of a costume or heavy coat and make it lighter or even break out things to actually keep people cooler in hot performing temperatures," said OSF's CJ Martinez. "There are even pockets that are sewn in so that they can store ice in certain costumes."
OSF also tries to keep the audience cool.
"You might see some extra doors open in the back just to let some more cool air in," Martinez added.
Martinez said everyone planning to see a play in the outdoor Allen Elizabethan Theatre should plan accordingly and stay hydrated. If the heat does get to you, Martinez added anyone in a rest vest can help.
- OSF keeps actors cool in hot weather
- OSF Actor Catherine Coulson Dies
- OSF Actor Dies From Cancer
- Making a comeback: OSF actor finds joy in representation
- OSF Celebrates Juneteenth
- OSF Welcomes New Literary Director
- OSF Auctions Bears for Charity
- OSF Launches Living Ideas Series
- Hot Weather Plant Care
- OSF Offers $10 Community Rush Discount