GRANTS PASS, Ore. -- The Oregon Department of Transportation is fixing up a dangerous, 60-year-old intersection in Grants Pass. Sharon Rydell owns two businesses off of Fruitdale in Grants Pass. She said she hears the squeals of a car's breaks often.
"People come around the corner like it's a race track you know they just did a speed trap here on Friday and they got a lot of people I wish they would reduce the speed limit in this area," said Rydell.
Over the last decade, ODOT has recorded more than 70 crashes at that intersection. More than half of them happened over the past three years and most of the crashes happened during the afternoon commute. Starting today, it is limiting the amount of traffic that will be able to go through the intersection.
“If you're on westbound Fruitdale you'll still be able to go right and go into town, you just won't be able to make this jump over here which is really a shortcut to William’s Highway so a lot of the movements will still remain," ODOT Spokesman Gary Leaming said.
Rydell hopes this will fix the amount of crashes that happens outside of her shops doors but she's also worried this new adjustment will take away from her business.
"The challenge is for our customers coming and going. Are they going to quit coming to us because it's too hard? I've seen that happen I know I've made changes in my life when they've made it hard to get into certain businesses," Rydell added.
"We understand their concern over that but at the same time we are having people were getting injured as a result of this movement. It is part of our mission to look after the safety. We’re saying that there is an inconvenience there but safety trumps that," Leaming responded.
- ODOT Begins Roadwork on Dangerous Intersection
- ODOT To Begin Construction On Medford Viaduct
- ODOT Begins $5.4M Project To Enhance Oregon 99
- ODOT to Add 'Bump Outs' at Some Grants Pass Intersections to Make Them Safer For Pedestrians
- ODOT to add roundabout at future Foothill Road and Highway 140 intersection
- ODOT Preparing For Winter Storm
- ODOT Extends Studded Tire Season
- 'Most dangerous intersection in Medford' gets traffic signal
- Sidewalk work begins on 'Big X' intersection in Medford
- 'Impatient Driver' Gets Truck Stuck in Table Rock Roadwork