MEDFORD, Ore. -- The Compassion Highway Project, its volunteers and its partners dedicated their Sunday afternoon to making sure the homeless were fed during its Christmas lunch. Volunteers handed out clothes, hygiene projects, and gifts to give them a special holiday season. They also handed out Narcan and naloxone, the opioid overdose reverse drug.
This comes after Jackson County Public Health issued a 'Red Alert' for fatal and non-fatal overdoses in the county. The alert was issued because of the number of overdoses that happened over 24 hours. The Jackson County Public Health said at least one person died Friday night.
Founder and Executive Director of the Compassion Highway Project, Melissa Mayne, went around Medford passing out all the Narcan and naloxone she had that night.
"There were so many overdoses, I wanted to check on our people, kind of do a roll call," Mayne added. "We do love them. We do care about them. I wanted people to be careful and kind of check in and find everyone I could."
Spirit has been homeless since he was 9 years old. He's now in his 40s. He asked for a naloxone kit.
"I used to be a heroin addict so I know what it's like I've been clean and sober fr 24 years off of heroin. I still et the naloxone to help out because I'm tired of seeing my friends die," Spirit said. "It's a good thing to have on you because if you have friends that use heroin and OD, it can help save lives."
Volunteers handed out dozens of naloxone kits Sunday afternoon.
- Non-profit feeds homeless and hands out opioid overdose reverse medication
- Delta's on-board emergency medical kits will now include a powerful overdose-reversal drug
- Jackson County 'yellow alert' for opioid overdoses in fifth week
- Max's Mission delivers naloxone amid opioid overdose 'Red Alert'
- Jackson County emerges from opioid overdose 'Yellow Alert'
- Marijuana Ordinance Reversed
- Opioid Pilfering
- Heroin Overdose Death
- Local Doctors Fighting The Opioid Crisis With New Medication
- Study: Opioid Use Lower In States With Medical Marijuana