MEDFORD, Ore. -- Nine years of fundraising and dreams are finally coming to reality in the form of Holmes Park House.
“There is a lot of emotion associated with that. I think our founders are thrilled beyond belief. I think our new board members and people who have held this vision for so long, to see it come to fruition and be as beautiful as it is, I think really touches them," said Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice Executive Director Susan Holmes.
Hearn added the facility will be a specialty resource to the Rogue Valley. That's because come tomorrow it will be the first residence in southern Oregon to specialize in hospice care.
"It's calming and serene. Hospice embraces the family so it provides spaces for the family to be comfortable as well as the resident," Hearn said.
The original home used to belong to Harry and David co-founder, Harry Holmes. Southern Oregon Friends of Hospice turned the mansion into the 12-bedroom facility it is now. It will be able to care for 12 people at a time, but the organization plans to care for over 150 to 180 people a year. Hearn hopes Holmes Park House will help families and their loved ones deal with loss a little easier.
"At the end of life, we want to focus on what's most important, what's beautiful, our families. We want human touch and contact. We want to have our symptoms managed so that we can focus on what's most important to us."
Holmes Park House for Hospice's first resident moves in on opening day, Monday, May 14th.
- Non-Profit Opens First Hospice Care Facility in Southern Oregon
- Lovejoy Hospice
- Southern Oregon Sanitation halfway done with new recycling facility
- New Southern Oregon Aspire Computer Store Opens
- Cow Creek Umpqua Indian Foundation gives almost $500K to non-profits across Southern Oregon
- Prescribed burns in Southern Oregon
- Biggest Holiday Market in Southern Oregon opens today
- Providence Offers Free Hospice Volunteer Training
- Southern Oregon Auto Care hosts 8th annual free oil change for veterans
- Medford Non-Profit Works To Bring Recovery Cafe To Oregon