STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

No one hurt in house fire in Merlin overnight

Firefighters said the fire started in the chimney.

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 4:27 AM

MERLIN, Ore.-- Firefighters said a house fire Sunday night could have had a very different and tragic outcome. 

Firefighters responded to a house fire on Gibson Street around 11:30 Sunday night. 

Rural Metro Fire said the fire started in the chimney flue and spread into the walls of the home. Crews had to remove the exterior wall panels to make access to the attic in order to put the fire out. 

There were no working smoke alarms in the home, according to Rural Metro Fire. The people inside smelled smoke and saw a glow outside a window. They were able to get out safely and call 911. 

Rural Metro Fire said you can get a smoke detector for your home by calling its business office, (541) 474-1218. 

Grants Pass Department of Public Safety and American Medical Response responded and assisted with the fire. 

Article Comments

Medford
Broken Clouds
52° wxIcon
Hi: 53° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 52°
Brookings
Overcast
51° wxIcon
Hi: 55° Lo: 45°
Feels Like: 51°
Crater Lake
Scattered Clouds
43° wxIcon
Hi: 41° Lo: 30°
Feels Like: 36°
Grants Pass
Overcast
52° wxIcon
Hi: 54° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 52°
Klamath Falls
Scattered Clouds
43° wxIcon
Hi: 43° Lo: 28°
Feels Like: 36°
Drying Out Tonight
KDRV Radar
KDRV Fire Danger
KDRV Weather Cam

Community Events