Southern Oregon University got new solar panels today. They installed 68 of them. SOU installed their first solar panels in 2000. This fall about 18 years later 7 buildings will have the solar panels on them
Roxane Beigel-Coryell the sustainability recycling coordinator at SOU says "SOU from all aspects really supports sustainability from our students all the way up to the administration. We are really excited for it cause it's a 57 percent increase on our generating capacity for solar on site."
Crews spent the day installing all 68 of them. Newswatch 12 got footage of it on our drone. It's the first of three buildings getting the panels.
Roxane Beigel-Coryell says "right now we have five buildings with solar on them and we are adding two more buildings to that total plus we are expanding our solar on the library."
With the five buildings that have solar panels right now they save about 20 thousand dollars a year. Adding three new sets of panels will increase that savings.
Roxane says "the most exciting thing we are doing this fall are the panels that are going up on the library cause those are being funded by students."
The University actually pays the students back through the power that is generated by the panels. Roxane says it's a great opportunity for the students and they were the ones that came up with the idea.
- New Solar Panels at Southern Oregon University
- Solar Panels Installed at Southern Oregon University
- Freshmen Move In to Southern Oregon University
- Trump Administration Imposes Tariffs on Solar Panels, Washing Machines
- Builders Grapple With New California Solar Panel Requirements
- Grants Pass 18-year-old graduates from Southern Oregon University
- Ashland Man Goes Solar
- Prescribed burns in Southern Oregon
- Southern Oregon Fire Crews Aid Southern California in Wildfire Fight
- 4 Oregon public universities seeking tuition hikes