MEDFORD, Ore. — The volunteer effort for assembling the Olsrud Family Community Playground at Bear Creek Park has been postponed due to missing parts, according to the City of Medford.
The Olsrud Playground is the modernized replacement for the much-prized wooden Gothic spires of the Bear Creek Playground erected in 1987. Demolition of the old playground began in August, with groundwork for the new playground starting at the end of September.
A volunteer-led assembly of the new playground pieces was set to begin on November 3, but now the City says that the effort will have to be postponed indefinitely.
"City staff were notified by the playground manufacturer that the missing parts will not arrive in time for the planned Nov. 3-4 volunteer-led installation. This weekend’s volunteer build is postponed until we receive physical information of parts shipment and a transit timeframe," said Kristina Johnsen, Community Relations Coordinator with the City.
Johnsen said that they hope to finish assembly "before the holiday season."
The City provided the following letter from Parks, Recreation and Facilities Director Rich Rosenthal on the topic:
Today we were informed by the playground manufacturer that the missing parts will not arrive in time for the planned Nov. 3-4 volunteer-led installation. In fact, we learned the parts supplier in Georgia has not yet completed Medford’s order even though they had previously confirmed an Oct. 18 shipment date.
This is certainly an aggravating and frustrating development. At any rate, this weekend’s volunteer build is postponed until we receive physical confirmation of parts shipment and a transit timeframe.
We are all eager to finish playground assembly, and we hope it can be done before the holiday season.
- New Bear Creek Playground Assembly Postponed
- Demolition Begins on Bear Creek Playground
- Bear Creek Park Community Playground Enters Fundraising Phase
- City of Medford Seeks Volunteers for Replacement of Wooden Bear Creek Playground
- Opening Day Set for New Bear Creek Park Playground in Medford
- Students Participate In Bear Creek Restoration
- Update: Bear Creek Greenway Fire Started At Transient Camp
- Police: Cougar spotted in Bear Creek Park during afternoon
- Police: Report of cougar sighting in Phoenix near Bear Creek
- Playground Pitfalls – Prevention is Key