CENTRAL POINT, Ore.—Right now, we’re seeing a nationwide Christmas tree shortage.
The National Christmas Tree Association say trees this year will get more expensive, depending on where you buy.
Nicer Tree, Cheaper Price Owner Jay Wisshack says, "If you like a really nice selection, probably earlier would be better."
Jay Wisshack has been in the Christmas tree business for over 30 years.
This year he has 1300 trees spread between his two lots, one in Central Point one in south Medford.
But he predicts because of the shortage, he might be sold out sooner than later.
Last year he sold out 8 days before Christmas, and he says normally he's able to keep trees stocked until Christmas Eve.
Nicer Tree, Cheaper Price Owner Jay Wisshack says, "I don't think we're going to have the excess and there won't be trees after Christmas like we've seen in previous years, I think people are going to sell out this year."
The root of this problem, dates back 10 years, in 2007 when the recession hit.
Nicer Tree, Cheaper Price Owner Jay Wisshack says, "Things fell off really badly, a lot of the growers couldn't sell their trees and so they didn't replant."
We're only really starting to feel the effects now, since your average tree takes about 10 years to grow.
Wisshack says he began noticing the shortage about two years ago, and it could be a while before we have an abundance of trees to go around.
Nicer Tree, Cheaper Price Owner Jay Wisshack says, "I think next year might be a little worse."
For now, Jay says the shortage has only bumped his prices a little, about 5 dollars.
- Nationwide Christmas Tree Shortage: Experts Say Get Your Tree Early
- Christmas Tree Fire Safety
- Live Christmas Tree Disposal
- Christmas Tree Farmer says there is a Christmas tree shortage in Oregon
- Keep your Christmas tree hydrated
- Flu Alert: Nationwide Shortage of Antiviral Tamiflu
- How to Safely Secure Your Christmas Tree
- Boy Scouts Troop 112 Sells Christmas Trees
- Prevent House Fires this Christmas, Keep Your Christmas Tree Green
- Dangers of Tree Wells