UPDATE: HOOVER, Ala. (AP) - One teen is dead and two others have been injured following a shooting at an Alabama mall prior to Black Friday shopping.
Authorities say the shooting happened about 9:30 p.m. Thursday at the Riverchase Galleria in Hoover, a nearby suburb of Birmingham.
Police say a fight between two teens, including an 18-year-old, resulted in a gunfire exchange. One teen fled but was confronted by two Hoover police officers.
Captain Gregg Rector said at a news conference that a Hoover officer "did engage that individual, shot him and he is dead on the scene."
The second teen was hospitalized in serious condition. Rector said a 12-year-old girl also struck by gunfire was hospitalized. Her condition was not immediately known.
The Riverchase Galleria said the mall is closed until further notice.
Updated 12:26 a.m. 11/23/2018
HOOVER, Ala. (AP) - Multiple people have been injured after a shooting at an Alabama mall during Black Friday shopping.
News outlets report the shooting occurred Thursday night at the Riverchase Galleria in Hoover. Police tell Al.com that the suspect is dead following an officer-involved shooting.
It is unclear how many other people were injured or what their conditions were.
Hoover is about 10 miles from Birmingham.
- Multiple Shot In Black Friday Shooting
- UPDATE: Police Investigate Multiple Deer Shot with Arrows
- Multiple Fatalities Reported at Texas High School Shooting
- Three dead, multiple injured during shooting at California festival
- Watch out for these Black Friday shopping scams
- Black Friday shoppers awake before the sun rises
- Black Friday kicks off with $4.2B Thanksgiving online shopping feast
- Black Friday broke shopping records, but not at stores
- Slick roads cause multiple crashes
- Black Tornado Hero