ASHLAND, Ore. -- The Mt. Ashland Ski Area is officially opened.
You could say there was a frenzy at the park on Sunday. It actually opened six days early, which means six extra days to the ski and snowboard season.
"I've been waiting for this all summer long," said Aaron Bolenbaugh, one of the snowboarders on the mountain. His wife found out about the opening on Facebook. "She told me and I went in and got my gear ready right away."
The early opening means more practice for students.
"We are really excited. The mountain actually opened a week early," said Gary King. He is a high school coach for all of Southern Oregon when it comes to skiing and snowboarding.
"We couldn't be more stoked to be open for the community," said Hiram Towle, general manager at Mt. Ashland Ski Area.
The first day back on skies or a snowboard means a lot of falling, until people get their snow legs back — yetyou can still see a smile behind each fall.
Opening day also brings some interesting outfit choices; onesies.
"I love it. I love it. Any excuse to wear a onesie I'm in on," said Bolenbaugh.
"It's one of our favorite days of the year," said Towle.
It's how the season starts every year. Then the group goes down the slope together, kicking off the new season.
- Mt. Ashland Ski Area opens six days early
- Mt. Ashland Ski Area Opens Tomorrow Morning
- Mt. Ashland Ski Area open every day for Spring Break
- Mt. Ashland Ski Area Awaits Incoming Storm
- Mt. Ashland Second Opening Day
- Mt. Ashland Ski Area adds two more days to season
- Mt. Ashland Day Onesie
- Mt. Ashland Ski Area Reopens After Storm, Messy Roads
- Mt. Ashland Ski Area is getting ready for the season
- Mt. Ashland Opens Terrain Park