ASHLAND, Ore. -- Although the Mt. Ashland Ski Area is technically closed, it opened its doors for its annual Bavarian Nigh. It's a fundraiser for the Ski Patrol. General Manager, Hiram Towle said guests are usually able to ski and snowboard at the fundraiser but there isn't enough snow this year. That might change with the storm coming in.
"With the exception of today and yesterday, the temperatures have been super cold so, what snow we did have from the last few systems that came through was holding on pretty good," Towle said.
He hopes this storm will add to the snow that's left but whether or not the Ski Area will officially open its doors, Towle said that's up to Mother Nature.
“It depends. If it comes in light and fluffy for 12 inches, we won’t be able to open. If it comes in nice and heavy and doesn't get blown all over the mountain, that would be on the lower end of what we need to open," Towle said.
And that still might not be enough.
“We don't know until we go out and actually ski on it. If it was 3 feet, we'd say 'Absolutely we're going to open’ but when we're on marginal conditions already and only getting a foot on top of that we'll have to wait and see. But we'll be screaming it from the mountain tops as soon as we can open."
Towle remains optimistic and looks forward to this storm and the ones that follow.
"Our commitment has been that we will open the ski area as long and as often as we can. And we don't stop thinking about it just because we got through January and the majority of February. So no, we'll hold on for a late winter arrival and we'll get the lifts fired up as soon as there's enough snow on the ground. There's still some more in the forecast for the future and we expect to have a pretty wet march and we plan to ski right into April and maybe even May if we can," Towle said.