ASHLAND, Ore. -- One of the two projects is a 2.5 million dollar construction project.
Crews started working Sunday night on I-5 north near exit 27. ODOT is working to repair and preserve the Medford viaduct by adding a new polymer deck surface. Oregon State Police are enforcing a 40 mile-per-hour speed through the work zone every night this week. The construction at the Medford viaduct starts at 8 p.m. til 6 a.m. every day this week.
While the viaduct construction is happening at night, the second construction project is happening during the day. Starting at exit 11 on I-5, from Siskiyou Boulevard to the state border for 2.5 traffic on both sides are down to one lane as crews work to repair the southbound road surface. Repairs includes upgrades to concrete panels and the guardrail.
This 27 million dollar project is in addition to the Medford viaduct. ODOT officials said drivers should be prepared for 20 minute delays at peak times.
NewsWatch12 drove to the border to see how the construction was impacting I-5 drivers. Traffic was moving just a little slower than usual, but with no extra lanes to pass, occasionally, drivers would get stuck behind an 18-wheeler.
We spoke with several drivers who said the construction didn't impact their drive at all. Ryan Leake is on a road trip with his family from San Diego.
"No, no traffic, and that was around 10:30 in the morning, so a lot of cars on the road, but nobody really had to slow down," Leake said. "You just let people in and observe the zipper, one car after the other and don't try to block people and you're fine."
To monitor changing work zone travel times, click here.
- Million dollar construction projects begin this week on I-5
- Massive I-5 construction project begins Monday
- I-5 Construction Northbound at Exit 33
- Phoenix-Talent $69 Million Dollar Bond Issue
- Mega Millions Climbs to 1.6 Billion Dollars
- Ashland School District Gets 109 Million Dollars
- ODOT To Begin Construction On Medford Viaduct
- Volunteers Begin Construction on Revamped Medford Playground
- I-5 Closure stopping deliveries?
- Powerball winner donates half a million dollars to veterans group