MEDFORD, Ore. -- A man was hospitalized with a stab wound after an attack in Hawthorne Park on Monday night, and now Medford Police has confirmed that a suspect is in custody.
Medford Police said that the victim was stabbed in the stomach by an acquaintance of his. The attack happened at about 6:45 p.m. in the evening.
"The victim was located in the park with a stab wound to the abdomen," Medford Police said in a statement.
According to the agency, witnesses chased down 26-year-old Marcus D. Harper and were able to hold him until officers could arrive on the scene. Before getting to the suspect, the witnesses reported seeing him throw a knife into Bear Creek.
A probable cause statement filed by the arresting officer identified the victim as James Bowman. Two witnesses told the officer that Bowman had intervened after Harper and another man got into a fight. When Bowman stepped in, the witnesses claimed that Harper punched him several times and then stabbed him with a "purple pocket knife."
The officer's report also indicated that Bowman gave a similar account to investigators as he was being prepped for surgery.
During questioning at the Medford Police Department, the statement indicates that Harper gave a different account of the fight — claiming that he had been trying to give one of the men "a hug" when he was kneed in the face, then multiple people assaulted him when he tried to run.
"Marcus [Harper] denied stabbing James [Bowman]," the officer wrote.
Harper was booked into the Jackson County Jail on charges of Assault II, Unlawful Use of a Weapon, and Tampering with Evidence. His bail is set at $112,500.
- Witnesses hold suspect for Medford Police after stabbing in Hawthorne Park
- Police investigating Hawthorne Park stabbing
- Medford Police Investigating Stabbing
- First Heroin Overdose In Hawthorne Park This Year
- Police searching for witness in Grants Pass Fred Meyer stabbing
- Cleaning Up Medford's Parks
- Police: Suspect vehicle, witnesses pictured at the time of Medford shooting
- Medford man suspected of stabbing random stranger in the neck
- Medford Robbery Suspect Arrested
- Forage Coffee helps continue the transformation of the Hawthorne Park area