MEDFORD, Ore. — A man convicted of stabbing the mother of his children 40 times was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole in a Jackson County court on Tuesday.
In the court room, Noemi Ruiz's mother Mariah gave a statement to the Judge. Through tears she said her whole family is devastated and that the kids went through a traumatic experience.
Police arrested Jose Solis Garcia in September of 2017 and charged him for the murder of Noemi Ruiz, the mother of his children.
Neighbors had discovered Ruiz on the sidewalk in front of her home early in the morning on September 11. According to the Jackson County DA's office, Ruiz had just returned home after her shift at Amy's Kitchen and had planned to pick up her children in order to take them to school.
Instead, Solis Garcia ambushed her — stabbing her 40 times with a large knife, an autopsy later revealed. Solis Garcia was upset that Ruiz "no longer wished to be in a relationship with him," according to the DA's office. Ruiz had told her family that she wanted to get a restraining order against Solis Garcia on the day of her death. Solis Garcia had reportedly been showing up at her home, church, and work — even breaking into her house and stealing her car keys and the birth certificates of her children.
After the discovery of Ruiz's body, Medford Police (MPD) got security video from neighbors that "placed Solis Garcia near her Hill Way Home on the morning of her murder." Detectives traced the car that he had been seen driving to a rental company in Red Bluff, California.
Cell phone records put Solis Garcia at a Walmart in Anderson, California just three hours after Ruiz's murder. Video from the Walmart showed Solis Garcia throwing away clothing in a trash bin and buying new clothes at the store — plus "bleach wipes and ammonia," the DA's office said. Video also showed Solis Garcia wiping down the rental car.
Investigators were able to recover the clothing, along with "the sheath for a large knife." They identified the knife as a brand sold by Walmart, and eventually found footage of Solis Garcia buying the knife at the Crater Lake Highway Walmart in Medford on the night before the murder. DNA testing of the man's discarded clothes also turned up Ruiz's blood.
Medford Police arrested Solis Garcia in Red Bluff as he tried to return the rental car.
The sentence passed down on Solis Garcia today was life in prison or a minimum of 25 years before he would be eligible for parole. He also owes more than $15,000 for funeral expenses, and would be subject to post-prison supervision for the rest of his life if he is paroled.
- Medford Man Sentenced for Killing the Mother of His Children
- Missing Medford mother and three children found safe following search effort
- Sheriff: Medford Woman Flew to Tennessee, Tried to Kill Her Mother
- Police: Medford Man Hit, Killed by Dump Truck Completed Suicide
- Medford Man Killed in Wasco County Head-On Crash
- Two children injured after school bus hit in Medford
- Medford Man Sentenced to Probation for Rape of Middle School Girls
- Wisconsin Man Sentenced for Tax Fraud Scheme Exposed by Medford Resident
- Medford man sentenced to more than 10 years for strangling, threatening girlfriend
- Oregon man sentenced for illegal killing of endangered wolf