WARM SPRINGS, Ore. — A head-on collision in Wasco County claimed the life of a Medford man on Tuesday, leaving the other driver critically injured.
According to Oregon State Police (OSP), troopers and emergency personnel responded to the scene around 5:30 p.m. after reports of a two vehicle head-on crash along Highway 26 near milepost 74.
Investigators believe that 65-year-old Lanny Hawley of Gresham was driving a red 2000 Ford E-350 eastbound on the highway before crossing the center line for "unknown reasons." Hawley then struck 52-year-old Kyle Estes of Medford, who was driving westbound in his black 2016 GMC Terrain.
Estes died of his injuries at the scene of the crash. Hawley survived, and was airlifted to a trauma hospital in Bend with critical injuries.
OSP says that Hwy 26 remained closed for about six hours following the crash.
Estes is the second Medford man to die in a crash on Hwy 26 in Oregon within the past week.
- Medford Man Killed in Wasco County Head-On Crash
- Medford Man Sentenced for Killing the Mother of His Children
- Medford Man Dies in Rollover Crash in Northeast Oregon
- UPDATE: Near Head-On Crash Kills Driver in Rogue River
- Grants Pass Man Killed in Douglas County Crash
- Car Crashes into Utility Pole in Medford
- Motorcycle Passenger Killed in Lake County Crash
- North Medford Names Steve Turner Head Football Coach
- Oregon Man Killed In Utah Crash
- Wimer Man Killed in Motorcycle Crash