Electrical Fire at Medford Home Claims Family Pets

While a family is safe following an electrical fire in Medford, two of their dogs died in the incident before firefighters could respond.

Posted: Jan 16, 2019 10:44 AM
Updated: Jan 16, 2019 10:47 AM

MEDFORD, Ore. — After knocking down an electrical fire at a home in Medford, firefighters found two family dogs killed in the aftermath, according to Medford Fire-Rescue (MFR).

Firefighters responded to a report of the fire around 6:45 p.m. on Wednesday night, rushing to the 1400-block of Rome Beauty Lane. A neighbor across the street had reported seeing smoke and flames issuing from the home.

"The first unit on-scene arrived within three minutes," MFR said in a Facebook post. "Firefighters confirmed the exterior of one side of the home was on fire, with the forward progression of the flames heading into the home’s attic space."

After searching the home to make sure that all of the residents had evacuated, fire crews knocked down flames on the outside of the fire — ensuring that it would not spread to nearby homes. Next, firefighters cut into the attic space inside of the home to extinguish any remaining flames.

Firefighters saved the home and made sure that the family was safe, but several pets were not so lucky.

"While there are no human injuries to report, two dogs did die in this fire," MFR said. "The fire has been deemed accidental, and was due to an electrical issue. Our thoughts are with the family as they recover from their loss."

Article Comments

Medford
Scattered Clouds
60° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 48°
Feels Like: 60°
Brookings
Overcast
53° wxIcon
Hi: 54° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 53°
Crater Lake
Broken Clouds
52° wxIcon
Hi: 64° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 52°
Grants Pass
Clear
59° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 59°
Klamath Falls
Broken Clouds
52° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 39°
Feels Like: 52°
Tracking Showers & Storms
KDRV Radar
KDRV Fire Danger
KDRV Weather Cam

Community Events