MEDFORD, Ore. — Thursday marked another cougar sighting in Southern Oregon — but it may not be where you'd think.
"This cat's coming out from the front door and going across the driveway and back out to Archer," said Mark Dewey, a Medford resident.
His video of a cougar sauntering down the front pathway of a house was taken at 2:50 a.m. this morning.
"We were alerted by our little camera system that there was something on the cameras," Dewey said.
The security system at Dewey's mother's house (where the cougar was sighted) is motion-activated. At first they thought it was just a house cat.
"My wife checked it out and there was a cougar on my mother's front porch," Dewey said.
When Dewey called his mom, she said "the dog's been barking nonstop in the middle of the night." This has Dewey thinking that the cougar's Thursday morning visit isn't the first time.
"We think it might be around, but we aren't sure. This is the first time we've caught it on camera," Dewey said.
"I've run into cats in my lifetime here and I was born and raised here so I've seen them more towards Anderson, but not downtown where there's a lot of people," Dewey said.
His mother's house is close to South Medford High School on Columbus and Archer.
"It's pretty busy, lots of houses in my mother's neighborhood it's a neighborhood so it's house after house, it's pretty cookie-cutter stuff over there," Dewey said.
Medford Police Department says if you spot a cougar in the middle of the night call 9-1-1 and they will handle it. If it's during the day call the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW).
For tips on what to do if you encounter a cougar, see the flyer from ODFW below.
- Cougar Caught on Camera in South Medford
- Bike Thieves Caught on Camera
- Police shoot, kill cougar seen roaming around Medford
- Medford elementary school goes on lock-out following cougar sighting
- Medford elementary school goes into lockout following possible cougar sighting
- RAW VIDEO: Security Cameras Capture Vandalism at Medford Schools
- New Speed Radar Cameras Go Live at Medford Intersections
- Cougar Country: Sighting in Ashland
- Oregon Trails: Court Cameras
- Sheriff: Oregon Hiker Likely Killed by Cougar