MEDFORD, Ore-- Tuesday part of the Medford International Airport shut down for a mass casualty simulation.
This simulation had everything an actually emergency would have. For two hours first responders took care of victims. The American Red Cross was in a section to help with friends and families of the victims.
"We took turns going to the stations to get made up, depending on the injury card we had." said Michael McClure. He played one of the victims. "I can really see the importance of bringing in the different agencies that are involved and would respond on these circumstances."
"It's really a surreal experience to have a mock and know that it's something that could happen within our community." said Christi Maclaren. She is the Disaster Preparedness Coordinator for the American Red Cross.
There was an incident control room in the airport. The airport director took calls from first responders. Usually during an emergency like this the police handle crowds and traffic. Tuesday they had a different scenario as well. "This specific exercise had a component where two prisoners were being transported on the airplane that crashed. So we had to go through the dynamic of identifying the prisoners, making sure they were taken into custody and receive any medical treatment that may be necessary." said Captain Tim Snaith from the Jackson County Sheriff's Offfice. "I think overall the exercise went well, we worked well together but there is also room for improvement."
This live simulation happens every three years. This is the first year media was allowed to film it.
- Medford Airport holds mass casualty simulation
- Distracted driving simulation at Medford Open Streets
- Simulated earthquake in Ashland today
- New Video Game Simulates School Shooting
- TSA Pre-Check Enrollment Comes Back to Medford Airport
- Travelers Sign Up For TSA Pre-Check At Medford Airport
- Expect TSA delays at Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport
- Medford Airport Warns of Security Delays on Wednesday Morning
- How Many Passengers Fly Through the Medford Airport Each Month?
- UPDATE: Another Day of Delays and Cancellations at Medford Airport