SALEM, Ore. -- Sanctuary states have become one of the most controversial immigration topics.
A sanctuary state is a state whose local government limit their cooperation with the national government's effort to enforce immigration law. In Oregon, that means local police cannot enforce federal immigration law if a person's only crim is being in the country illegally.
If Measure 105 passes, it would repeal the sanctuary law that was passed in 1987, which made Oregon the first sanctuary state in the nation.
According to Ballotpedia, the law was passed in response to racial profiling of immigrants by local, state,and federal law enforcement working together.
The Repeal Oregon Sanctuary Law Committee (ROSLC), Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) and Oregonians for Immigration Reform have shown their support for the measure.
Stop Oregon Sanctuaries argued that "Illegal aliens can and do harm the American citizens to whom Oregon owes its foremost responsibility. For this reason, enforcement of U.S. immigration law is central to the duties of Oregon's police departments and sheriff's offices. Sign Initiative Petition 22 to help give Oregonians the chance to repeal ORS 181A.820 -- and to free Oregon law enforcement to better protect Oregonians from criminal aliens."
Oregonians United Against Profiling, Oregonians for Sanctuary, and Defend Oregon oppose the measure.
Organizations like the ACLU, Oregon Education Association, and National Immigration Law Center dontated towards opposition of the measure.
Three Republican members of the Oregon House of Representatives filed the proposal with the secretary of state's office last year.
- Measure 105 Takes Aim at Oregon's Sanctuary State Status
- Local Leaders Weigh In On Oregon's Sanctuary Status
- Your Voice, Your Vote: A Breakdown of Measure 105
- Expanded sanctuary state rules advance in Washington
- Oregon Measure Would Ban Charging 'Pet Rent'
- Oregon Democrats pursue gun safety measures
- Proposed Repeal of Oregon Sanctuary Law Makes Fall Ballot
- Jefferson Spirits Hosts Singles Sanctuary
- Oregonians Deciding Fate of Pioneering Sanctuary State Law
- Court Delays Oregon Gun Measure Days Before Deadline