CENTRAL POINT, Ore -- A single mom in Southern Oregon is able to get a college degree, because of McDonald's Archway to Opportunity Program.
When you order at McDonald's you might just notice the food or drinks being prepared, but inside the restaurant it is helping people fulfill dreams.
"I felt like growing up my parents didn't really tell us we had to go to college. It was more you have to graduate from high school." said Lili Espindola. She is the Director of Operations for 7 McDonald's restaurants in Southern Oregon. "I started 19 years ago. Being the oldest of 6, my parents couldn't really afford a lot of things so I had to start working."
Espindola worked her way up as a Crew Member from the McDonald's in Central Point. It wasn't her first McDonald's though. "I had my daughter when I was 18. I was in a small town where there wasn't online school." said Espindola.
She never got to go to college. "It's always been a dream of mine to be in college." said Espindola. Three years ago she was able to start that dream, because of McDonald's Archway to Opportunity Program. It's help pay for a portion of her online degree.
"When I got the opportunity I wanted to show Dyani that doesn't matter where life takes you. You can always go back to school you can get your education." said Espindola. Now her daughter, Dyani, is following in her mother's footsteps. Working as a Crew Member at the McDonald's in Central Point.
Right now, Espindola is finishing up her degree and her daughter is deciding which college she will be going to.
Here is a link to find more information about the Archway to Opportunity Program: http://www.archwaystoopportunity.com/
- McDonald's employee is able to pursue college dream
- Oregon Democrats pursue gun safety measures
- Republican lawmakers not pursuing health care replacement
- Living a Fishing Dream
- High school goes on lockout as Medford Police pursue suspects
- Winter Dreams, Summer Gardens Symposium
- McDonald's changes apple pie recipe
- McDonald's is partnering with AARP to hire older employees
- McDonald's launches new application process through Alexa
- Three Camp Fire Employees Fired