YREKA, Calif. — Deputies responding to reports of an assault in Yreka later arrested a man with ties to the Talent area on Attempted Murder charges, according to the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office (SCSO).
Just before 8:30 a.m. on Thursday morning, deputies responded to the 400-block of Walters Lane just south of Yreka. Dispatch had received a 911 call reporting an attempted assault with a vehicle, followed by an assault with a weapon, SCSO said.
"The suspect allegedly struck the victim in the head with a deadly weapon and fled the scene in a vehicle," SCSO said in a statement.
Deputies caught up with the suspect shortly thereafter, identifying the man as 33-year-old Andrew Lee Mason — a man with "recent residential ties" to Talent and the Yreka area.
At the scene of the alleged assault, deputies worked with detectives and a forensic technician with the Major Crimes Unit to investigate the crime scene and conduct follow-up work on the case.
Meanwhile, the victim was treated and brought to Fairchild Medical Center, then transferred to a medical facility in Shasta County.
“Our deputies and investigators from our Major Crimes Unit have made significant progress on this case but the incident is still under investigation," said Sheriff Jon Lopey. "Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact the SCSO’s 24-hour Dispatch Center at (530) 841-2900.”
Mason will be arraigned in the Siskiyou Count Superior Court within 48-hours for charges of Attempted Murder and Criminal Threats (formerly known as "terrorist threats"), SCSO said. Mason is being held on a "no bail" provision until his arraignment.
- Man Arrested Near Yreka, Accused of Attempted Murder
- Police: Yreka Attempted Murder Suspect Turned Himself In
- UPDATE: Man Wanted In Connection With Yreka Murder Investigation Apprehended
- Klamath Falls Man Arrested for Attempted Murder
- Yreka Man Arrested after Stabbing Man Multiple Times
- Medford Man Arrested in Maryland on Attempted Murder Charge
- Siskiyou County Man Arrested on Arson and Attempted Murder Charges
- Yreka Parents Arrested for Failing to Send Kids to School
- Man Charged with Attempted Murder in Talent
- Yreka Restaurant Takes Stand Against Bullying