CAVE JUNCTION, Ore. — Deputies from the Josephine County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) rushed to downtown Cave Junction after a multitude of calls reporting a man yelling and brandishing what appeared to be an "assault rifle."
Sheriff Dave Daniel said that the calls started coming in around 1 p.m. on Thursday. Multiple callers described a man shouting unintelligibly and holding what looked like an AR-15 style rifle.
When deputies arrived at the scene around 1:40 p.m., they found 44-year-old William Sanders — acting much as the callers had described — in the area around Shop Smart and Taylor's Sausage. After contacting Sanders, the deputies eventually discovered that he was actually carrying an airsoft rifle modeled on the MP5 submachine gun.
Although openly carrying a firearm is not illegal in Oregon, Sheriff Daniel said — particularly when that firearm is not, in fact, lethal — Sanders was determined to be disturbing the peace. As a result, he was lodged in the Josephine County Jail and charged with Disorderly Conduct.
- Man Arrested After Yelling, Brandishing 'Assault Rifle' in Cave Junction
- Sheriff: Cave Junction Man Arrested After Assault With Baseball Bat
- Death Investigation in Cave Junction
- Missing Cave Junction Woman Found Safe
- OSP Confirms Shots Fired In Cave Junction
- Officer-Involved Shooting in Cave Junction
- Cave Junction Bingo Fanatic Celebrates 100th Birthday
- Police Investigate Serial Arsonist Near Cave Junction
- Cave Junction Expands Smoking & Vaping Ban
- Grass Fire in Cave Junction Under Investigation