SAMS VALLEY, Ore. — Jackson County Sheriff’s Office detectives say the death at the scene of Saturday’s trailer fire was a homicide. Deputies say the suspect is in jail, accused of murdering his estranged wife and burning her body.
On June 30, 2018, at 3:17 p.m, deputies responded with Fire District #3 personnel to a trailer fire in the 3100-block of McMartin Lane. The caller indicated a woman was in the trailer, which was fully engulfed before first responders arrived.
Deputies arrested Kevin Dean Hicks, Sr., 52, shortly after arriving at the scene, which was also Kevin Hicks’s residence. Hicks is lodged in the Jackson County jail on charges of murder and second degree abuse of a corpse.
Detectives have presumptively identified the victim as Tammy Raye Hicks, 49, of the 12200-block of Table Rock Road. Investigators with the Jackson County medical examiner’s office say the official identity of the deceased is tentative; they will likely need to rely on dental records or DNA comparisons to make a conclusive identification. An autopsy will take place later this week.
Deputies say the couple separated after deputies arrested Kevin Hicks on October 15, 2017, for assaulting Tammy Hicks in the presence of their four minor children. They say Kevin Hicks was arrested again the following day when he contacted Tammy Hicks, in violation of the jail release agreement. Deputies say the children were not present during Saturday’s incident.
Detectives with the multi-agency Major Assault and Death Investigation Unit (MADIU), as well as fire investigators, are assisting with the case. The District Attorney’s Office will review the evidence and refer the case to a grand jury.
- Man Accused of Murdering Estranged Wife, Burning Body
- Police: Man Fatally Shoots Estranged Wife, Wounds Daughter
- Authorities: Man burned wife with oil for unseasoned chicken
- Sheriff: Missing Myrtle Creek man's body found, truck burned
- Estranged Husband Found, Arrested in Suspicious Death Case
- Colorado Man Charged with Murder, Says Wife Killed Daughters
- ICE Says Oregon Sheriff Releases Man Accused in Wife's Death
- Siskiyou County man accused of firing gun at wife, mother
- Missing Connecticut mom Jennifer Dulos had told officials she was afraid of her estranged husband
- Murder Charges Dismissed Against Man Accused of Killing Son