MEDFORD, Ore. —
UPDATE: Flight cancellations and delays due to low visibility will continue into Friday, according to a statement from the Jackson County Airport Authority.
At this time, American Airlines has cancelled all flights out of Medford for Friday. United Airlines has cancelled all early morning flights due to no "RONs" (Remain Over Nights). The Airport Authority says that they have no word on the status of afternoon flights for United.
Delta Airlines continues to post delays for flights to Seattle and Salt Lake City.
For the second day in a row, Alaska/Horizon airlines remains unaffected due to their smaller, propeller engine planes which seem better able to navigate the poor conditions.
The airport remains open, and passengers are encouraged to contact their airlines or more information.
(Updated 8/24/18 at 9:11 a.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: After a long Thursday morning of flight cancellations, confusion and frustration for passengers at the Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport, the Jackson County Airport Authority confirmed after noon that flights have been delayed or cancelled "due to poor visibility."
United and American Airlines have cancelled all flights out of Medford for Thursday, while Delta has posted delays for flights to Seattle and Salt Lake City.
Airport Director Jerry Brienza told NewsWatch 12 that poor smoke and wind conditions have made travel for larger, jet-propelled planes unsafe. So far airlines such as Alaska/Horizon have been largely unaffected, as their smaller, propeller engine planes have been able to navigate the smoke.
"With the majority of passengers being rebooked for tomorrow's flights, it is important to arrive at the airport two hours prior to boarding so as to have plenty of time to get boarding passes, check bags and process through security," said a statement from the Airport Authority.
The Director says flights should be up and flying Friday.
- UPDATE: Another Day of Delays and Cancellations at Medford Airport
- Medford Airport Warns of Security Delays on Wednesday Morning
- Expect TSA delays at Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport
- Medford Airport holds mass casualty simulation
- Flooding Causes OSF Show Delays and Cancellations
- Fog Creates Flight Delays and Cancellations
- Why School Was Delayed but Not Canceled
- UPDATE: Missing Medford Senior Found
- Smoke Continues To Cancel Flights Out Of Rogue Valley Airport
- Downed X-Ray Causes Security Delay At Rogue Valley Airport