MEDFORD, Ore. -- Petitioners want to make it mandatory for firearms to be secured with a trigger or cable lock or in a locked container when it is not carried by or under the owner's direct control. Jenna Yuille is one of the chief petitioners for the Oregonians for Safe Gun Storage. Her mother was killed in the Clackamas Town Center shooting in 2012.
"I never thought this was an issue I was going to be involved in. Never planned on being involved in it. But all that changed when my mom was killed in that mall shooting. So it's been really important to me to make some sort of difference in her name,” Yuille said. "This measure is going to save lives that's our goal. That's my goal personally is to help save lives from gun violence."
Police said the shooter used a stolen rifle. Yuille believes this petition could have made a difference. Some disagree. Some say this petition doesn’t address the real issue.
"To go after the tool in my opinion is the wrong thing. To go after anger, to go after the ability to have civil discourse and discussion and actually come up with a way with engaging, that’s where I think we need to go as a people, as a society, as a country," Daniel Joseph said.
"An evil person can always find a way to do evil. Responsible gun owners already secure their guns, whether they are using them or storing them so your question would be what can you do about irresponsible gun owners. I don't think there's much that can be done," said Greg Reeser.
The petition also states a lost or stolen firearm would have to be reported within 24 hours of the time a person knew or should have known about the loss or theft. The owner would then be liable for the injury.
Petitioners will need to get over 88,000 signatures to have it appear as a ballot measure in November.
You can read more about the petition here.
- Locals React to 'Safe Gun Storage' Petition
- 'Safe Gun Storage' Petition Will Vie for Oregonian Signatures
- Oregon Gun-Storage Proposal Won't Make November Ballot
- Oregon Lawmakers Plan to Introduce Gun Storage Bill in 2019
- 4H Turns Storage Sheds Into Western Exhibit
- Ashland Seniors Petition to Recall Three Commissioners
- K9 Identifies Three Storage Units Full of Drugs, Guns in Grants Pass
- Oregon Group Files Petition to Ban ‘Assault Weapons’ Statewide
- Petitions Submitted to Recall Port of Brookings Harbor Commissioners
- Safely Removing Splinters