EAGLE POINT, Ore. -- Today Eagle Point is cleaner thanks to some local students. More than 30 kids and parents from Crater Lake Charter Academy volunteered in a student-led trash pick-up.
The community service day was planned by two seventh grade girls, Paislei Chaffin and Megan Allen.
"We had to arrange everything, make sure we had food and a place to do it," says Chaffin.
The girls say they were inspired by a class assignment. They read a book on community service, wrote an essay, then presented their idea to the entire school. The administration says they would choose the most well planned out event.
"I'm really proud because we ended up being able to do it," says Allen.
Chaffin says they wanted to organize something that everyone could take part in, and something that would impact their community.
"It's a lot of fun, it's awesome, i'm glad I got to do it," says Chaffin.
The school says this is a great way to teach the kids how to problem solve, and come up with real world solutions.
"They can make a difference, and that you can get a group of people together to do some good," says Crater Lake Charter Academy teacher, Lexi Powell.
More than 30 students showed up to help. Crater Lake Charter Academy does not hold classes on Fridays, so the kids showed up on their own time.
"I'm positive a couple other people who didn't sign up ended up coming," says Allen.
All the trash collected today will be taken to the dump.
Crater Lake Charter Academy says it wants to continue to teach their students the importance of community service.
- Local Students Help Clean Up Eagle Point
- Eagle Point Students Create Chalk Memorial to Honor Their Classmates
- Memorial Fund Created for Three Eagle Point Students
- Mail Theft in Eagle Point Sparks Investigation
- Eagle Point Shooting Victim's Mother Speaks Out
- Missing Eagle Point Girl Found in Arizona
- Fire Engulfs Eagle Point Barn Behind Restaurant
- Eagle Point Senior Prepares for State Competition
- Eagle Point High boasts successful CTE program for students keen on trade work
- Eagle Point Police Chief Retires, Interim Chief Appointed