PORTLAND, Ore. — Thousands of people are now without homes in both northern and southern California after several deadly wildfires flared up over the past week. Volunteers from the American Red Cross Cascades are joining firefighters in heading south to help with the massive response efforts.
Right now, 15 volunteers from Oregon and southwest Washington are on their way — including members from Grants Pass, Gold Beach, Medford and Wolf Creek.
"With nearly a quarter million people displaced, the Red Cross is working to provide shelter, food and comfort for those forced to leave their homes with little notice," the organization said in a statement.
Since last night, the Red Cross says, they care for 2,100 people at 18 Red Cross and community evacuation centers across California. More than 7,000 people have received shelter supplies and 15,000 households have received emergency supplies. Those include sifters, include sifters, personal protective equipment, respiratory masks, rakes, shovels, work gloves, tarps and other resources.
Another large part of the effort has been Safe and Well — a website run by the Red Cross that allows people to let their loved ones know that they are safe. Based on messages submitted to news stations and posts on social media, dozens (if not hundreds) of people remain unaccounted for by family and friends.
The Red Cross of Colorado & Wyoming has also announced that they have four volunteers on their way to help with those devastating fires.
- Local Red Cross Volunteers Head for California Fires
- Local Red Cross Volunteer Helps Volcano Victims
- Local Red Cross Recruits Volunteers For Hurricane Disaster Relief
- Oregon Red Cross Volunteers Help With Wildfire Aid
- Red Cross Seeks Volunteers in Grants Pass for Disaster Relief
- American Red Cross Will Close Last Shelter at Camp Fire
- Red Cross To Close Grants Pass Shelter
- Red Cross Seeks Nominations for 'Hero Awards'
- Oregon Fire Fighters and Equipment head to Southern California
- Oregon Firefighters Headed To California's Mendocino Complex