The state of California is being sued after Oakland's mayor warned San Francisco residents of an ICE (U.S. Immigration and Customer Enforcement) raid. California, like Oregon, is a sanctuary state. We wanted to know how our local leaders would handle a similar situation and how sanctuary states are required by law to participate in immigration enforcement.
NewsWatch 12 reached out to the Mayor of Ashland, Grants Pass, and Medford.
The Mayor of Ashland, John Stromberg, emailed a Statement to the Community as a response and stated during a phone conversation that he prefers to not comment regarding speculative situations.
NewsWatch 12 was never able to speak to the Mayor of Medford but was directed to contact the Medford Deputy City Attorney, Eric Mitton who sent the Medford Police Policy Manual for Immigration Violations, which lays out the statutes in place for Medford law enforcement in regards to immigration enforcement.
The Mayor of Grants Pass, Darin Fowler met with Alicia Rubin to discuss the role of the Mayor and the city of Grants Pass in the event of an ICE raid. You can see his full unedited interview here.
Mayor Fowler stated, "the politicians here, the three commissioners, the city council, the city, and the mayor have not taken up the subject and so we have no stance either way. We figure that's more for the states and federal to fight about and not for local governments to take a stance on because we took an oath to uphold the laws of the state and the federal law."
He further explained that if an ICE raid was to happen in Grants Pass the city leadership would respond differently, "If they had something like that for our city we would've asked our police department chief what his plan was, to cooperate with them. And asked what the sheriff's departments plan was, to cooperate. There would’ve been no press release."
- Local Leaders Weigh In On Oregon's Sanctuary Status
- Measure 105 Takes Aim at Oregon's Sanctuary State Status
- Josephine County Sheriff Weighs in on 'Sanctuary Law' Repeal
- Proposed Repeal of Oregon Sanctuary Law Makes Fall Ballot
- Jefferson Spirits Hosts Singles Sanctuary
- Geologist Weighs In On Local Volcanic Threat
- Oregon Labor Chief Weighs In On Retail Gun Rule
- Oregon Lawmakers to Weigh Plastic Bag Tax, Straw Ban
- Texas Strikes Back Against Sanctuary Cities
- Expanded sanctuary state rules advance in Washington