ARLINGTON, Texas-- One Central Point teen is competing against the pros in the one of the biggest rodeos in the world, almost two thousand miles away. 18- year-old Makaela Memmott has the chance to win $1 million at the American rodeo in Texas. She said if she wins, it's all going back to who helped her get there---her horse, Cash Gato Boogie or Boogie, for short. This is the second time the duo has qualified for this race. The first time was three years ago, when she was only 15 years old.
"We were a lot less experienced than we are now so we kinda got here and there were millions of dollars of trailers and trucks in the parking lot and then you're running against the best horses and riders in the country. We kind of psyched ourselves out last time we were here. This year I just try not to think about it and try to do my own thing," Makaela said.
Now that they are competing back there again, makaela knows what to expect. Her biggest fan, Makaela’s mom, Darla Memmott, knows she has what it takes to bring that one million dollar cash prize home.
"I knew that they could do it again. I just knew that they had it. Makaela's got a lot of go. Makaela is just very dedicated and just making it this far is pretty amazing because you're up against the toughest girls in the country and for her to make it that far, it makes it emotional. It's great," Darla Memmott said holding back tears.
Makaela agrees with her mom. She said she's just excited to be here again.
"I don't know it's been a really cool experience. I knew my horse had what it takes to go it. We've worked really hard for it so I'm just really glad to be here," Makaela added.
Darla Memmott said she doesn’t care if her daughter wins or loses. She just wants Makaela to have fun and be proud of how far she’s made it.
- Local Girl Competes in Texas Rodeo for $1 Million
- Local Girls Learning Trade Skills
- Local Man Wins $2 Million from Lottery
- Two Million Bees Pollinate Local Orchard
- Girls Rock! Brings Fun, STEM Workshops to Local Girls
- Students Compete in Lego Robotics Tournament
- Local Girl Scout Troop Sending Cookies Overseas
- Southern Oregon Home Show Bringing In Millions For Local Economy
- Medford Hot Dog Stand Competing For National Title
- Millions Can't Afford Rent