Gold Hill, Ore. --From a sparkly tiara to a new bedroom, 6-year-old Lydia Smith got the royal treatment today through the Kids Wish Network.
"She's been talking about it all day long. She knew something was going to happen and she has just been very excited about it," says her father, Kevin Smith.
Lydia and her mom visited the salon for a makeover, including a hairstyle and an Aurora dress. When they came home, she was surprised with a new princess themed bedroom. She received everything from a new bed to a customized toy chest with her name on it.
"She got to go to a hair salon, to JC Penny and have a princess makeover, and then we came home to a bedroom makeover," says Andrea Smith.
Lydia was born with moderate to severe hearing loss, and at five months old was diagnosed with retinoblastoma, which is a cancer in the eye. Since her diagnosis, Lydia has traveled to numerous hospitals around the state for various procedures. However, last week she went to Doernbecher where she was given a clean bill of health.
"Now it's just kind of getting used to letting her be a kid and not letting her go under anesthesia so much anymore for eye checks, and you wouldn't know that she had any of that. She's just a regular kid that likes princesses and wrestling with her dad," says Kevin.
Lydia’s parents see this princess makeover not only as a gift for her, but also as a new chapter in their lives as a family. "It's kind of the beginning of maybe a somewhat normal childhood," says Kevin.
- 6-Year-Old Cancer Survivor Gets Princess Makeover
- Local Business Pampers Breast Cancer Survivors
- Great Clips Offers Free Haircuts To Cancer Survivors
- Study Looks at Pregnancy among Breast Cancer Survivors
- Art’s iconic ‘Blue Boy’ gets major 250th birthday makeover
- Providing Healing For Survivors
- Teacher Turned Artist: Breast Cancer Survivor Helps Others Grieve Through Art
- Breast Cancer Survivor Shares Recovery Journal, Offers Advice for Those in Treatment
- Preventing Breast Cancer: Genetic History & Cancer Screening
- Understanding Lung Cancer