MEDFORD-- Over-crowding, graduation rates and 6th graders joining the middle schools. These are just some of the topics the Medford School District is looking at.
Fifi Love is the PTO President at Hover Elementary School and also a mother to two children. She says, "I just want to listen to find out what their solutions are."
Every year about 1000 people move into Medford. If that continues, a new school or additional space will be needed. The district has some ideas and that's why it wants to sit down with parents and talk about them.
Fifi love will be one of those parents at the meeting. She is a mom to a 5th grader at Hoover and a 7th grader at Hendrick.
Love says "Over-crowding or under-funding and each is kind of unique to their own area."
Fifi is going to the listening session, because she wants to learn more about the possibility of 6th graders being moved to the middle school.
Love says "I would like to find out what their plan is for that."
and Fifi believes every parent should be going to the listening session. From kindergarten to high school it seems every school is looking at updating it's approach.
Love says "I think it's important to get a sense of what the parents are feeling at home and even more importantly the teachers who are there can really offer solutions based on their experience everyday with such a large group of children."
Superintendent Brian Shumate says he's going into the two listening sessions expecting to take a lot of notes .
Shumate says, "Not as much talking about initiatives as it is here are the issues on the table, what do you want from us and how can we do a better job of serving you and your family."
There are two listening sessions. One is this Wednesday January 16th from 6-7:30pm at Oak Grove Elementary School. The other is next Wednesday the 23rd from 6-7:30pm at Lone Pine Elementary School.
- Listening Sessions for Parents about Medford School District Changes
- The Medford School District Holds First Listening Session
- Ashland City Council Holds Public Listening Session
- Attorney General's Hate Crime Listening Session
- Medford School District Tackles Child Obesity
- Medford School District Pilots 'Sixth Grade Academy'
- Medford School District selects new superintendent
- Medford School District Aims to Help Parents Better Communicate With Kids
- Medford School District Approves Fifth School Resource Officer