GRANTS PASS, Ore. — Firefighters put out a structure fire at the Sonic Drive-In restaurant in Grants Pass after midnight in the early hours of Friday morning, according to the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS).
Grants Pass Fire-Rescue received the call just after 1:30 a.m. after reports of a structure fire. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found smoke filling the restaurant.
"The engine company forced entry and advanced a hose-line to quickly extinguish a small fire inside the structure," GPDPS said in a statement.
Damage from the fire did not prove extensive — limited, as it was, to an electrical panel and outlet. As a precaution, an additional engine company went up to the roof to make sure that the flames did not spread.
Investigators determined that the fire started from the "spontaneous combustion" of oil-soaked rags, according to GPDPS.
"Grants Pass citizens are to be reminded of safe practices of oily rag disposal, utilizing a metal container with a tight lid," GPDPS said.
- Late-Night Fire Breaks Out at Grants Pass Sonic Drive-In
- Grants Pass Fred Meyer Open After Late Night Lockdown
- Several Grants Pass Businesses Catch Fire Overnight
- Grants Pass Fire Rescue Goes Pink
- Grants Pass Chaplain Helping Camp Fire Victims
- Fire Destroys Motorhome in Grants Pass
- Grants Pass Approves 15-Year Tax Break For Dutch Bros.
- Caveman Repairs in Grants Pass
- Grants Pass Family Welcomes Triplets
- Friday Night Blitz: Huge Night from Tayler Phillips Nets Grants Pass Win