YREKA – Containment of the Klamathon Fire inched closer to 100% overnight, reaching 96% according to the latest CAL FIRE update. Nearly 600 personnel are fighting the fire, which has consumed 38,008 acres so far.
The cause of the fire, which started on July 5 off Klamathon Road near Hornbrook, is still under investigation. It claimed the life of a local resident and destroyed 82 structures. Three firefighters have been injured fighting the blaze, including one who required hospitalization for burns.
People from evacuated communities were allowed to return home last week.
Assistance for those affected by the fire can seek assistance today at the College of the Siskiyous Yreka campus from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Services provided will include:
• Siskiyou County Health & Human Services Agency
o Disaster Cal-Fresh
o Behavioral Health services including crisis counseling
o Tetanus immunizations through Public Health
• Siskiyou County Assessor-Recorder
• Department of Motor Vehicles
• Social Security Administration
• Contractor’s Licenses Board
• American Red Cross
• Salvation Army
If you have, it is recommended that you bring:
– a photo ID,
– household income information
– insurance documents. *DMV is also available to issue duplicates of Photo IDs and driver license.