KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — A Klamath Falls woman died inside her home after a fire broke out early Thursday morning, according to Klamath County Fire District 1.
Just before 2:30 a.m., the agency received reports of a structure fire with a possible victim trapped inside at 2154 Eberlein Avenue. A group passing by the house reportedly saw the fire and called it in — even attempting to get the victim out, but to no avail. Fire District 1 said that the bystanders were unsuccessful due to the extent of the fire at that point.
Police and firefighters arrived at the scene a short time later, finding flames in the kitchen and living room of the home. Firefighters were trying to find the victim and extinguish the fire at the same time.
Fire District 1 said that four engines and two ambulances responded, with a total of 15 fire personnel on the scene. One firefighter was injured during the suppression efforts, and was transported to Skylakes Medical Center before they were treated and released.
Firefighters found a woman, later identified as Madeline L. Murray, in the living room. She was pronounced dead at the scene, and Klamath Falls Police contacted Murray's next-of-kin.
"We extend our sympathy to the family and friends of Ms. Murray," Fire District 1 said.
The agency said that damage to the home is estimated at $80,000. The fire has been ruled accidental.
"We encourage all residents to have working smoke alarms and to change the batteries every six months," Fire District 1 said.