KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. -- The owner of a home on Miller Avenue needed the land. Demolishing a house is expensive. So the homeowner chose to donate the house to Klamath County Fire District 1. It's a win-win. The firefighters are getting hands-on training that's as close to a real emergency as you get and the house is now gone.
The "Burn to Learn" training at 5132 Miller Avenue specifically to help 5 new firefighters. It gives the Klamath County Fire District No. 1 firefighters valuable fire control technique training. This is the last step in their two-week training. Jared Hooper is one of those five new firefighters
"It's a good experience to kind of just get our feet wet. A lot of us haven't been on a fire in a couple of years so it's a good way to learn and go over what we went through with the academy," Hooper added.
He is not new to the department since he was an EMT. Now he's switching from the ambulance to the red firetruck.
"It's something that we've all kind of dreamed of our whole lives. It's kind of tough to get into but it's a cool opportunity to serve Klamath Falls and the people of Klamath County," said Hooper. "We like the action. You never know what each day is going to bring. It's something new and just the camaraderie and brotherhood from working with a fire department is something that interests me greatly."
The Oregon Department of Forestry and the Kingsley Field Field Department also participated. And before the fire was set, the Klamath Falls Police Department was able to do a forceable entry training.
The District says it is the best type of training available to prepare firefighters for an actual fire emergency.
Watch NewsWatch 12 at 6:00 to hear from one of those firefighters who walked into that burning building.
- Klamath Falls home burned "for a good cause"
- Grants Pass Serves Up Grilled Cheese for a Good Cause
- Spring open burning begins today in Klamath Falls
- Spring burning window announced for Klamath
- Red Ball From Klamath Falls To Lakeview
- US Air Force Honors Klamath Falls Airmen
- Klamath Falls Woman Dies in Car Crash
- Officer Involved Shooting in Klamath Falls
- Klamath Falls First Interstate Bank Robbed
- Klamath Falls Amtrak Trains Expect Delays