APPLEGATE LAKE, Ore--- Applegate Lake is set to open on April 26th, and will be fully operational by May 1st.
It is important to remind teen drivers to be careful on the drive out to the lake.
Many kids get excited to go as school gets closer to ending. As many in the Rogue Valley know, that stretch of Highway 238 can be a tricky drive.
It may be a good idea to take your young driver on a drive to the lake before the opening, if you know they plan on driving out there. It may a good opportunity for you to coach them through it, and get them some experience before other teen drivers get on the road with them.
Of course, safety is a concern for all drivers. The drive includes many sharp turns, ditches, and stretches that run right along the river.
The manager of Applegate Lake, Glenn Richardson, mentioned how odd the turns can be. He mentioned how they often pull the driver towards on-coming traffic.
Another area of concern at Applegate Lake is logs. The staff is doing everything it can to clean up logs that are currently floating around in the lake. They say those logs may seem like they are just floating around slowly, but they are hazards to swimmers.
They are also attempting to get those logs completely away from the boat launch area, a task they say is almost impossible.
NewsWatch12 This Morning will continue to give you updates throughout the morning.
- Keep teens safe as Applegate Lake nears opening
- Deputies Investigate Possible Shooting at Applegate Lake
- Applegate Valley Fire District Warns of Possible Smoke Alarm Scam
- UPDATE: Fire Crews Contain Grass Fire in Applegate Valley
- Leaders Wanted! Applegate Nonprofit Looking to Create Professional Networks
- Fatal Crash Near Spring Lake Road
- Cold and frosty start to Friday for Rogue, Applegate & Illinois Valleys
- UPDATE: Fire crews from multiple agencies respond to wildfire in Applegate Valley
- UPDATE: Woman missing near Rogue River has been found safe
- Abbott Prairie Fire Burns 12 Acres near Lost Creek Lake