MEDFORD, Ore. -- Flyers claiming to recruit for the KKK are popping up in East Medford.
Melissa Tener was speechless when NewsWatch 12 told her KKK flyers trying to recruit White Christians were going around Medford.
"I am Christian and that is not what I represent at all. Anywhere close. I don't want any part of that. Not in my neighborhood," Tener said.
Her and her family have not gotten and quite frankly don't want one.
"That's crazy. I don't even think that that's a thing anymore. It's 2018 for crying out loud,” Tener added. "There's an elementary school right down the street. You don't want recruitment. That's just weird."
"Honestly it's a little scary because you don't really know what's going to happen,” Mackenzie Curso, Tener’s daughter said.
No one on Tener’s block got a flyer but everyone just a few blocks up did. Neighbors said they saw them folded up at the edge of their driveways in plastic bags with a piece of candy inside.
The flyers say the group is 'looking for likeminded men and women' from the area and that they 'do not believe in unprovoked violence.'
"When you think of the KKK you think of old times. 50s 60s, you don’t think about that in this day in age," Tener said. "That just baffles me. It's crazy."
Some people who got the flyers did call the police. The Medford Police Department would not comment since nothing illegal was technically done and the flyers are protected under the first amendment.
- Medford Residents Find KKK Recruitment Flyers on Their Doorsteps
- Tough New Jackson County Policy Locks Down Crime Frequent Flyers
- KKK Robe Sells for $3,000 at Auction
- Operation C.A.R.E. Surveys Southeast Medford Residents
- FBI Looking for Medford Resident Accused of Peddling Meth
- Report: Medford Residents Have Lowest Life Expectancy in Oregon
- City of Medford Lifts 'Boil Water Advisory' for Residents, School
- Josephine County Sheriff's Office Recruiting Volunteers
- Wild Birds Unlimited: Medford
- Medford Rogues Baseball Club