GRANTS PASS, Ore. — The Josephine County Sheriff's Office is searching for potential victims of an HIV-positive man arrested in Gold Beach at the end of July.
The Sheriff's Office said that it and agencies in surrounding counties were investigating "crimes involving" 28-year-old James Allen Propes meeting women online for sex.
Propes remains in the Curry County jail after his arrest in July. He is accused of having sex with two women within the past year without telling either of them that he was HIV-positive, and he faces numerous charges for attempted assault and reckless endangering.
"If you have been involved in an intimate relationship with Propes please call the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office at 541-474-5123," the agency said.
The current case against Propes is far from the first. Court records indicate that he faced a similar litany of charges in 2012, also in Curry County, and was convicted on three of those charges. The judge sentenced Propes to 18 months in prison and four years on probation.
Contemporary media reports also suggest that Propes was charged in Indiana, although the outcome of that case is unknown.
In 2016, Propes faced a similar case again in Georgia. Though he was convicted and sentenced to 10 years in prison, the case was later overturned on appeal and Propes walked free — apparently returning to Oregon.
- Josephine County seeking more victims of man accused of spreading HIV
- Josephine County Man Shot
- Curry County man accused of trying to spread HIV through sex
- Police Seek Help in Finding Missing Josephine County Man
- Josephine County Sheriff's Office: Missing Josephine County Man Found Safe
- Josephine County Fair
- Controversy in Josephine County
- Sheriff: Josephine County Man Accused of Assault, Threats of Shooting
- Josephine County Man Arrested, Accused of Sex Abuse
- Sheriff, Marshals Seeking Armed Fugitive in Josephine County